How to object to a DA

To lodge an objection to a Development Application (also known as a DA), you need to write to Council explaining what is wrong with the DA – in your own words. Objections can be as short or as long as you like.

It is acceptable to simply explain how a development is going to make an area less pleasant to live in. (Planners call this ‘amenity’).

The best objections drill into the documents in the Development Application and point out where they are incomplete, or misleading, or plain wrong. All the documents will be online until the close of submissions.

You must respond by the closing date for submissions. You must include your full name and address, the relevant Development Application number and the site address.

If you’re a resident of the City of Sydney, you can email your objection to , or you can post it to council at “City of Sydney, GPO Box 1591, Sydney NSW 2001″.

When you send your submission, consider emailing the Councillors – otherwise the objection only goes to Council staff, and Councillors don’t get to see your submission, which makes it harder for them to argue for you.

You also have the option to submit your objection via This has the advantage of letting other people see your objection, and lets you see what other people are saying. can also send you email notifications of future DAs near you. This is well worth doing – Council are only required to notify you of a DA if it within 50m – practically nothing. And if you do see something, make sure to talk to your neighbours, or even letterbox them, because the odds are that otherwise they won’t realise what’s happening until it’s too late to react.

For more information, see