The below map identifies the announced WestConnex borehole locations.
We’re think there may have been drilling at other locations as well.
We’ve been told that drilling is to be completed this week.
Timings for the WestConnex geotechnical investigations in Sydney Park were given as:
- City Farms site (BHP5): Thursday, 18 July 2019 to Thursday, 8 August 2019. The WestConnex contractors were unable to change the borehole location due to a short notice
- South of kiosk (BHP4): Monday, 22 July 2019 to Monday, 5 August 2019
- East of kiosk (BHP3B): from Monday, 22 July 2019 to Tuesday, 13 August 2019
- South of skate park site (BHP2A): from Monday, 22 July 2019 to Tuesday, 13 August 2019. This borehole was relocated by 66 metres away from the skate park construction site
- Alan Davidson Oval location: from Thursday, 25 July 2019 to Thursday, 15 August 2019
- West of Euston Road: from Thursday, 25 July 2019 to Thursday, 15 August 2019
As discussed, it’s not clear to us why they are drilling in some of these places. We don’t think it’s because they are considering tunnelling under these locations. The path for the M4-M5 Link tunnel was originally supposed to be where the blue dashed lines on the left hand side of the map are.
The stub for the Stage 3 ramp (Haberfield to St Peters) constructed during Stage 2 (New M5) goes under the intersection of Campbell Street and Barwon Park Road. The main tunnel from Kingsgrove to Haberfield is further west. The proposed line of the Stage 3 ramp tunnel is along Barwon Park Road.
It’s possible the route will be changed, but hard to see that it could be changed by so much that it would be brought near the drill sites, especially the more eastern ones.